I explained, in a recent post, on receiving NMEA data from instruments on board without going through a Mac (or PC) aboard. It is now possible to do the same for receiving AIS data with an iPad or iPhone.
Digital Yacht has developed a new AIS receiver designed for use with mobile devices from Apple. iAIS, is its name, WiFi transmits navigation data received from vessels to dedicated applications on iPhone or iPad via TCP / IP. Featured with AIS dual-channel A and B receiver, It also allows applications to access consistent data NMEA instruments aboard.
How it works ?
With which it works ?
Implemented with iNavX :
- Open Settings from iPhone / iPad
- Select "WiFi"
- Activate "Wi-Fi" to "ON"
- Choisir «DY-iAIS-XXXX». If another network is already selected, click the blue arrow button, then "Forget this Network"
- Host : enter "169.254.1.1 "
- Port : enter "2000 "
- Activate "Location services" on "I" if no GPS data is sent to the iAIS. This will allow iNavX to use location services on the iPhone / iPad
- Set "Active" to "ON"
- Close with the "Save" button
The application is available free on the AppStore, two versions for iPhone and iPad. We will easily recognize on the screens the " design touch » de Richard Ray.
Digital Yacht has made this video, dubbed in French, for explanation :
Related article : Connect GPSNavX/MacENC with an AIS